Thursday, June 24, 2010

When a friend moved away


Things have become different since my best friend moved away. Her name was Rosalva Aloe and she was very close to my heart. I remember her deep hazel coloured eyes which shined brightly when she was happy. She had long, dark brown hair, almost black and a glowing face.

I remember the time when we had such fun together, I remember the sad moments together as well as the happy ones. We had made so many memories together. We used to share everything together. Rosalva completed me. She walked into my house like it was her own house, we were just like sisters. Perhaps, no-one would ever replace her in my heart. We had a strong bond of friendship. She was my bestfriend since third grade and with her I never felt lonely and empty. She was not only my bestfriend, she was my classmate, neighbour and like a sister.

At the age of seven I met my best friend, Rosalva who was at the same age as mine. I remember it like yesterday. My mother told me that there was a new child moving into the house next door. I couldn't wait to meet her. I never knew how this new friend would change my life...

This is was a usual morning. Rosalva and me were on our way to the lake, very early. The lake was my favourite place. On a hot summer day like this one, the lake was the best place to go. The scent of roses hung in the air there. I started playing my flute, this was probably the best place to play the flute what could be more relaxing that this? "New composition, Jewele?" asked Rosalva. "I wish! It's not one of mine." I answered. The early morning fog hovered lazily, a couple of feet above the ground. It was cold, traces of dew are still evident among the leaves, and lie thick along the pasture. The blades of grass were wet, and appeared to be razor sharp. In a couple of minutes, the scene would change from dark to light and a new day will begin. "It looks beautiful" Rosalva whispered. "I know, it is worth comming here early, you know" I answered and began playing the flute. The sun began to come, it's  radiant light covered the Earth and penetrated through the orange sky. Its reflection on the still water is an image of Allah's most beautiful painting. I stand along the shore and gaze upon a magnificent scenery as the cool water washes the sand off of my feet. A breeze blows across my face and comforts my soul as it relieves my troubles and pain. The tranquility of a setting sun has shown me a glimpse of heaven, and the sound of waves pressing against the sand makes the scene all the more perfect. The scent of fresh air clears my thoughts.  I look to the sky and watch the seagulls soar through the clouds. "Wow" I whispered on the breath-taking scene. "Jewele.....I have to tell you something" Rosalva sighed and her smile faded away. "What?" I asked her happily.  "I....am going" she answered. "Going? Why now? We are enjoying so much and we are going to have our breakfast here too" I answered as I passed her a peach. She looked sad. "What is it?" I asked. "I'm going....going away - to a place far-away, it is because of my father's job" Rosalva said. "What? Why didn't you tell me about it before? When? When are you going? You can't go" I answered. Rosalva was silent. "I...I didn't wanted to make you feel sad. I...am going day after tomorrow" Rosalva said, almost in a whisper. "Why? You mean....this is our last trip to the lake together?" I asked. Rosalva nodded. "I'll come to visit you....once an year" she said. "I...I'm sorry" she continued. "Once an year? No, it is not your fault..." I said not knowing what to say next. "Look, I convinced my parents to have a job which is nearer to your city but...it wasn't possible, my father said that he had had found an amazing job there" Rosalva. "I know that it would be difficult to stay with each other for a long time" she sighed. "I will miss you" she said as she hugged me. "I will miss you too" I said.  I forced myself to smile to make myself and her feel better. "I will be living eight hundred miles away from you, you had been with me since I was a child"she said. "We will always be friends, and no one would ever be able to replace you" she told me and finally smiled.

She waved at me. "Goodbye" she whispered in my ear. "Goodbye" I said. We hugged and tear went down my cheek, I quickly wiped it off. Rosalva was teary too. I watched as she sat in her car, her hazel eyes on me, we watched each other until the car had gone. I was still standing there, lost in my thoughts. All those memories I had with her, from the day I met her to this fled in my mind. "Bye my friend. I am hopping to see you next year" I whispered to myself.

I kept her key-chain as a keepsake, on the key-chain it was written 'Aloe + Jolyn', our last names . There were albums filled of our photos to always remember her. I kept one of our best picture together on my bedside table so I could never forget her....

As I drifted down the school hall, it seemed as if it were endless. I could not feel my feet strike the ground. I really did felt empty without Rosalva. While people enjoyed their break time, I sat there in the corner trying to think of all the happy times that I spent together with Rosalva, it was impossible to forget her friendship.

You can realise how it felt when my friend moved away but this was not even half the story.

There on the bed of a hospital lying was Rosalva, she was sick, her eyes didn't move, her heart stopped beating, she died. I woke up sweating. It was all a bad nightmare, all a bad nightmare. Nothing bad had happened in reality, had it? Nothing bad...I whispered to myself. Convincing myself everything was okay. I tried to phone Rosalva but then I remember Rosalva telling me that the place they moved to had no phone signals. "I hope she is okay" I said to myself. That night I got so worried, that I didn't slept the whole night. My mother told me that it was all a bad nightmare and I had nothing to worry about. I felt something was very very wrong.

It had been an year since she had moved away. Next day, there was a bell on the door and I was most shocked on opening the door. Mr. and Mrs. Aloe, Rosalva's parents were there, I expected Rosalva to jump out from behind to give me a suprise but it never happened. "We came by to visit you" Mr. Aloe said in a shaky voice. My parents greeted Rosalva's parents and they sat down to talk. Finally, I asked "Where is Rosalva?". Mr and Mrs Aloe went pale, and had a worried expression on their face. The environment of the room had suddenly turned uncomfortable and quiet. Mrs. Aloe looked a bit teary and Mr Aloe's sad face made me think that there was something really wrong. "She....She....is not with us anymore, honey" Mrs. Aloe said in a shakey voice. My parents looked at each other in a suprise. "What do you mean she is not with you anymore? Is she gone to boarding school" I asked desperatly. "No honey...she has departed from this world...gone" Mrs. Aloe replied and erupted crying. I was still for a few minutes, unable to move myself, those words that struck me like a lightning-bolt. I couldn't answer.  Tears flooded my eyes, threatening to overtake me. I realised I was never going to see the face of my friend again, not ever. Her being in this world mattered to me, atleast I knew that she was somewhere in this world but now...now...she was gone. My friend had left. Mr. Aloe explained how it happened,  she got sick, so sick she was in hospital for days. "She was sad, she missed you. Her sadness was eating up her life. None of the medicines were working. Before she died, she said that her wish was to meet you one more time but it was impossible to travel from all that way in her sick condition. Her wish never came true." said Mr. Aloe all of a sudden. The room stayed quiet for a while. I couldnt believe it....no...it wasnt possible. Rosalva, yesterday she was just a normal girl like me who had so many dreams she wished to come true and today....today she was just - gone.

I cried for days after her death...it was impossible to believe that she had died - gone.

I stared at the water as I walked, the cold hair blowing my long, thick, brown hair away from my face. The sun was bright as it glistened off the water. I squinted my eyes but didnt look away from the diamond-looking sparkles dancing across the surface. The water looked nice, even inviting, instead of its usual sepia colouring. I looked away from the lake and turned to look at a girl beside with long dark brown hair, almost black. She almost looked like....but I knew it couldnt be. "Jewele?" a voice said my name softly. My legs froze as my back stiffened
and my hands dropped. It couldn't be - I knew it couldn't be - but I had herd that voice over half my life and there could be no mistaking it. With hesitation, I turned around and peered through the moisture of the figure sitting on the rocks. A sadness showed in her familiar hazel brown eyes. Tears spilled over, and relentlessly down my cheeks - even the wind couldn't dry them. My voice trembled and shook as I whispered the impossible. "Rosalva?" A smile of melancholy appeared on her face as she nodded. "Yeah Jewele, it's okay, it's me". "How...." I couldn't get the words out. She held up her hands, palms facing me. "I know, I know. Come on, come sit with me." She gestured me forward. When I finally found my legs - my whole body felt numb. She looked just as I remembered, and I felt my heart breaking all over again. I sat on the rocks next to her, tucking my knees to my chest. I stretched out my arm to touch her. She couldn't be real, but she was. I couldn't stop crying. "Jewele Jolyn May." She scolded me in a paternal tone. "Stop that." I wipped out my tears. "How is this even possible?" I asked her and millions of questions ran through my mind. "I've come to help you. You gotta snap out of it, Jewele" she said. "I'm gone Jewele. You have to let me go." she said. "I can't" I murmured. "You can, you will, for me, you have to stop punishing yourself" she answered. Rosalva reached up and put one hand to my shoulder, pulling me closer towards her. "You'll be okay, I promise" she whispered. Rosalva sat back and gave a smile - how I missed that smile.  "I am I dreaming?" I asked. "Basically but you'll feel better now!" she said.  "Do you have to go?" I asked. "Yes" he said as her smile faded away in the distance, I was getting away, drifting away.

It has been a month since I had this dream. I felt a lot better after having this dream. I felt peace. I felt like Rosalva was always going to be with me. In my heart forever....

No comments:

Post a Comment