Monday, May 24, 2010

Breaking In The Swim Club

It was a humid night. My best friend and I were sitting on chairs outside in the garden of my house, sweating. I had called her because there was a power shut down in our area and we had nothing to do. The best thing about my best friend Liza Lenore was that she was my class-mate as well as my neighbor.  I called her Liz. We had been together since kindergarten. Liza's personality was adventurous and fun. We always did stupid and crazy stuff together. I felt sticky with sweat right now on a night so hot. It was hard to breath because the hot weather. Suddenly, a glimmer caught my eye. Liza's olive-green eyes sparkled, it was obvious that she had had an idea. "How about we go to the local swim club" she suddenly said. "What? I was about to say the same thing" I said "But...it is closed hours ago. Do you think...it will be safe to go right now?" I asked her. "Maybe...well, there is no other way to beat the heat and I just cant stand another minute of it" Liza answered. We were in a mood for some adventure right now - its kiddish to break in a swim club at night but I felt like doing it and so did Liza. "I suppose your right. So, last one there is a rotten egg!" I shouted. We snatched our swimming costumes, she took it from her house. The swim club was close from our houses, so we ran and laughed. I bet no one was awake, maybe someone who had woken up sweating perhaps. I couldn't see the 'Swim Club' board in the darkness of the night but I knew my way blindfolded. We had the plan to get over the fence of the Swim Club. "There are no lights" Liza whispered. A chill ran down my back. The more I walked closer to the swim club, the more scared I got. "Maybe this isn't such a good idea. I mean, we are not completely sure if it is safe, are we?" I said. For a moment Liza didn't replied. "Come on, we cant turn back now, we are here" Liza finally said. "I guess you're right" I replied and with those words, we entered the swim club. There were no lights, the gates were closed and the guards had probably went home by now. We climbed up the fence and got it. "This isn't really called breaking in, is it?" Liz asked. "Na!" I said. The fence made a little noise. However, it was easier to climb than I thought. This is probably the scariest thing I’ve ever encountered and by the looks of Liza's face, she hasn't experienced anything like this either. But, whats the harm? Even if we get caught breaking in, we weren't any crime, were we? We always used to have adventures together but not...this way! City lights and moonlight illuminated the pool and gave it a heavenly blue hue that inspired deep calm. The air smelled sweet, like a fresh pineapple had been sliced. Liza sat at the edge of the pool dipping her feet in. "Omigosh, this water is so cold" she said. "Well that's what you get when you break into a swim club late at night"   I said. "Oh! Violet! You say that I was the reason we came here? It was your idea too" she said. "Okay, okay, it was my idea too!" I replied. I jumped into the pool with a splash "Ahhh..this feels like heaven. Come join in!" I called out for Liza. She also jumped in and a huge splash shattered the silence. She came up and we laughed. "See? Nothing's better to beat the heat this way!" We started to have fun in the pool, splashing around. We were trying to be quiet but our laughter could probably be heard for miles. We were really enjoying. 
My happy expression changed  as soon as I saw something at the far end of the pool. 
Suddenly something grabbed my legs from below and pulled me under! I was so scared I sucked in this huge gulp of water! I could feel myself drowning! I started kicking and flailing. I could see Liza coming after me, saying my name and that’s when the body floated up out of the water. 


Some was there. Somebody who was also here in the swim club. "Are you alright?" Liza asked looking worried. I was wet and cold. "There is something in there, go and see Liza" I whispered. Liza and I walked closer to the pool. Something really was there - a person. Liza and I couldn't say a word. This night was supposed to be fun. It was supposed to be adventurous and it turned out...all this.  


I shacked the person, a little and realised that she was not moving, I realised that this person was - drowned. Liza and I couldn't breathe for a while. I was shaking and so was Liza, we couldn't speak. This person lying here was...Shannon. She was our close friend, a tear rolled down. Shannon was captain of our college swim team. She was a lifeguard at this very pool. She swam 50 laps each morning, just for fun. Surely, she didn’t drown. Why was she here? Shannon’s dark hair moved in the water like dark ink. Her agile body contorted like a marionette free of its strings. Her eyes smiled no more, but stared blankly into the starry sky. The mouth that always greeted you with a “Hey, y’all!” now screamed! No, the scream was mine! Liza came up behind me and held me tightly as she pulled me out of shock and the water. Sitting on the edge of the pool, I could not take my eyes off Shannon. Our best friend since high school lay floating in the glistening water. Her skin has turned pale, tinged with a blue hint.  What happened to her? What was going to happen next. Liza checked her pulse, nothing happened. We didn't knew what to do next. We couldn't leave Shannon here. I finally got a little back into my senses. "We have to take Shannon  to the hospital - quick" I said tensed. "You better look here, its..its.. blood" Liza whispered. It was blood. I gasped. "Shannon hadn't been drowned...she..she had been murdered" I said. But Why? The Answer we did not knew but we had to take Shannon to the hospital somehow before...before...she is...dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment